Recipe by tallgirlbc_7980136
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. This casserole takes the best of a loaded baked potato (think bacon, cheese and a dollop of sour cream) and teams it with a slice of Apple Pie (Don't forget the slice of Cheddar.) A sweet and savory delight that can be used as a main course or a side dish. Bon Apetite!
- 1 (30 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bacon into cubes (put bacon in freezer for 30 minutes to make chopping easy).
- Peal, then cube apples.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until cooked thoroughly but not crispy. Drain cooked bacon cubes on paper towels and save the bacon drippings to grease casserole dish.
- In large bowl, combine slightly thawed hash browns, bacon, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, cubed apple, and sour cream. Spread mixture into a 13 X 9 casserole dish greased with aprox. 4 Tbs. bacon drippings.
- Top with remaining 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes and enjoy!