Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Great tasting and easy to prepare basic vegetable beef soup. Make it on the stove top or in a crock pot. My family loves this simple recipe and I love making it for them. Serve with your favorite homemade bread or cornbread recipe.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stew meat, cubed, bite size
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 32 ounces beef broth, no fat, reduced sodium
- 32 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, already chopped (your choice)
- 4 potatoes, cubed, bite size (we leave peelings on)
- single clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped, bite size
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper (canned foods often high in sodium)
- Brown cubed stew meat in lightly greased skillet.
- Drain and transfer stew meat to crock pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce beef broth and bay leaf; stir.
- Add chopped onions, cubed potatoes and chopped garlic; stir.
- Add already chopped frozen vegetables; stir.
- Add salt & pepper; stir.
- Crock Pot: Select high setting for 2 hours; reduce to low, cook 6 additional hours.
- Stove Top: Bring to low boil, reduce to simmer, cook covered for 4-6 hours.