Recipe by rgraham1926
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. A rich ground beef filling with creamy mashed potatoes layered over the top and baked. A simple, filling dish with little cost and time to prepare. An old-fashioned casserole, that was traditionally made with ground lamb (Sheppard's Pie.)
- 24 ounces Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (preferably Ground Sirloin)
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine (Such as Cabernet Sauvignon )
- 1 yellow onion, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the Oven to 375 degrees. Saute the diced onions until softened, then add the ground beef. Cook the meat thoroughly with salt and pepper, then add the wine and tomato paste. Cook the mixture down about 5 minutes to cook the alcohol out of the wine and better flavor the sauce. When thickened, pour into a casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes or until top is nicely browned and the potato layer is warmed through.
- If you want to take your cottage pie's flavor up another notch you can add shredded carrots in with the diced onion and top the mashed potato layer with shredded Gruyere cheese or your favorite slightly sharp cheese.