Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- A no-fuss German potato salad that is sure to please. A delicious side can be ready in a matter of minutes when using diced potatoes and onions from Simply Potatoes.
- 6 slice bacon
- olive oil, as needed l (see directions)
- 566.99 g package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 22.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 78.07 ml white wine vinegar
- 158.51 ml water
- 1 egg, boiled, peeled, chopped
- 3 green onions, white and green, sliced
- In a heavy skillet fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside to drain reserving 1 slice to make bacon curls. To make the bacon curl: Partially cook bacon, cut into 3rds and roll each piece into a curl. Secure with a toothpick, return to pan and continue to cook until crisp, turning as needed for even cooking. Allow to cool, remove toothpick and use as garnish. The other 5 slices can be cooled and then crumbled.
- Measure the bacon fat. A total of 4 tablespoons fat or oil will be needed. If needed, add enough olive oil to bacon fat to equal 4 tablespoons. To the same skillet add 2 tablespoons bacon fat/oil and warm over medium heat. Add in the potatoes and red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. If the potatoes begin to stick, stir in a small amount of water.
- When done pour the potatoes and bell pepper into a bowl. Return the remaining 2 tablespoons reserved fat to the skillet and whisk in the flour, sugar and celery seed. Cook over medium heat until flour is lightly browned.
- Stir in white wine vinegar and 2/3 cup water. Cook until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and fold in diced potato mixture. Crumble bacon and add to pan along with chopped egg and sliced green onions. Toss gently to coat.
- Garnish with bacon curls. Serve warm or room temperature.
I love potato salad and this German Potato Salad is very tasty. I really liked the crunchy texture of the bacon and potatoes along with the tang of the white wine vinegar. What a snap this is to make using the Simply Diced Potatoes. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I love G. potato salad, but rarely make it (getting the potatoes done just right is tricky). This recipe was very easy and fun to make! I liked the flavor of the white wine vinegar, too. Thanks Paula, for your recipe. It's one I will make more often!
Easy to make - great to eat