1/2 Photos of Simply German Potato Salad
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- A no-fuss German potato salad that is sure to please. A delicious side can be ready in a matter of minutes when using diced potatoes and onions from Simply Potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slice bacon
- olive oil, as needed l (see directions)
- 566.99 g package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 22.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 78.07 ml white wine vinegar
- 158.51 ml water
- 1 egg, boiled, peeled, chopped
- 3 green onions, white and green, sliced
- 1In a heavy skillet fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside to drain reserving 1 slice to make bacon curls. To make the bacon curl: Partially cook bacon, cut into 3rds and roll each piece into a curl. Secure with a toothpick, return to pan and continue to cook until crisp, turning as needed for even cooking. Allow to cool, remove toothpick and use as garnish. The other 5 slices can be cooled and then crumbled.
- 2Measure the bacon fat. A total of 4 tablespoons fat or oil will be needed. If needed, add enough olive oil to bacon fat to equal 4 tablespoons. To the same skillet add 2 tablespoons bacon fat/oil and warm over medium heat. Add in the potatoes and red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. If the potatoes begin to stick, stir in a small amount of water.
- 3When done pour the potatoes and bell pepper into a bowl. Return the remaining 2 tablespoons reserved fat to the skillet and whisk in the flour, sugar and celery seed. Cook over medium heat until flour is lightly browned.
- 4Stir in white wine vinegar and 2/3 cup water. Cook until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and fold in diced potato mixture. Crumble bacon and add to pan along with chopped egg and sliced green onions. Toss gently to coat.
- 5Garnish with bacon curls. Serve warm or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simply German Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.5
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Sodium 122.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
white wine vinegar