Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been searching for years for the perfect brownie recipe (according to me). This is one I have tried from my Best of Country Cooking Cookbook collection. Not so much fudgy, but very chocolatey! I have to double or triple this recipe for my family because the original recipe amount will not last a whole day around here. I bake them on the low end of the cooking time.
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or 1/4 cup oil plus 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa, applesauce and oil until smooth. In another bowl, beat eggs.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Stir in flour and salt just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 16 brownies.
These were good, not too cakey at all for us, although I did find them quite sweet and a little oily. I think next time I'll use the applesauce and that will fix this up. Super quick and easy, thanks!
I thought these turned out great! Made them as a gift for my husbands co-worker, but did sneak a piece so I could give them their proper review! Mine were good because they were kind of cake like on the outside, but very fudgy on the inside. I put some of the chocolate chips inside, and then some of them on top as instructed. I did have to bake mine for 37 minutes because at 30 I stuck a knife in and they were still completely gooey. My husband is just mad we are giving these away, so I'll have to make another batch! Made for Potluck Party game.
These are good brownies. They have a nice chocolate flavor. For me, they turned out more cake-like than fudgy. I baked them for the full 30 minutes but, perhaps, I could reduce that time next time. The chocolate chips on top do make them more chocolaty. I did omit the nuts for my son's benefit, but I know they would be great in them. I didn't know when to add the unsweetened applesauce so I added it with the cocoa and vegetable oil step. Thanks for sharing!