Recipe by Wildflour
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry! Simply delicious and simple to fix chicken tenders that are fun to eat and easy on the pocketbook! Versatile enough to be a quick lunch, weeknight supper, or game day appetizer! Just serve with cole slaw or a salad, sliced fruit and dinner is done!
Top Review by rosie316
I am soooo happy that I ran across this recipe this morning. I made this for hubby and I, for a late lunch today. The only way I can describe this recipe is "Tator Tot & Chicken Nugget" got married in a bucket of hot sauce!!! I used the ingredients listed (except the blue cheese), but found it necessary to switch it up a bit. I only had two boneless, skinless chicken breasts thawed (which was plenty for us). I started marinating the chicken in homemade hot sauce as soon as I found this recipe, and thawed the hash-browns (I used approx 2 cups). I tried to dredge one strip in the potatoes, but they didn't seem to stick well. So the chicken went back into the marinade, potatoes went into the food processor for two or three pulses, then I wrung them out in a cotton dish towel. I spread the potatoes back into the casserole dish and let sit a bit. I tried dredging again, and the chicken was coated perfectly! I placed them on a parchment paper lined sheet pan, and cooked as directed. (I forgot to mention... I only sliced one breast into strips, the other I made into chicken nuggets). When they were almost cooked thru (about 20 minutes), I dipped them again into the hot sauce, returned them to the oven and cooked a few more minutes (I didn't want hubby to be dipping/dripping hot sauce over our beige carpeting). We do not like blue cheese, so I skipped that portion of this recipe. I served the chicken strips and nuggets with baby carrot sticks and some pre-packaged Ranch dressing cups (those little things are great to pack in a "to-go" lunch). Thank you for posting such a clever recipe. I will make this again. (Made for "Zarr Chef Alphabet Soup" tag game).
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat, cut into 12 strips
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns, more if needed
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbles
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim chicken breasts of any fat and cut each into 3 strips cutting lengthwise. Place into ziploc baggie and add hot sauce. Seal it tightly closed removing air, squish it around to coat all and place into fridge to marinate for several hours, overnight, or just simply use now.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes into shallow bowl. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. With tongs or by hand, remove strips letting any excess hot sauce drip away, one at a time, roll into potatoes to coat, and place onto prepared baking sheet. When all are nicely coated, patting on to coat well, pop into oven and bake until done, about 20-25 minutes depending on how thick your chicken strips are. Remove from oven, top with crumbled bacon and blue cheese and bake 1-3 minutes longer until blue cheese is just starting to melt.
- Can be served with extra hot sauce, celery sticks, and Ranch or Blue Cheese Salad Dressing for dipping if desired.