Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are several rhubarb custard pies on Zaar but I didn't find any quite like this one. It came from a friend at work and was tried and approved by another co-worker before I finally tried it last night. I think the topping really finishes it off. NOTE: I substituted Splenda for the sugar in the filling and it absolutely could not be detected. (I would have done the same with the topping but DH made the topping for me while I was making the filling.)
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 946.36 ml rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml flour
- 118.29 ml butter
- 0.25 ml salt
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the dry ingredients for the filling. Stir in the beaten eggs, then add the chopped rhubarb and mix all together.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Topping: Mix together the sugar and flour in a small bowl. Using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes "crumbly".
- Sprinkle topping mixture over the rhubarb filling.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees F.
Excellent recipe, thank you for posting!
Had to bake it longer than indicated & be sure to place a sheet of parchment paper underneath as all that butter seemed to drip over the sides and would've smoked up had I not lined the baking sheet with parchment. I thought it tasted so much better cold (personal preference). Thanks for sharing, this is a really nice recipe and used up the last of my summer rhubarb.
The best recipe you could use, same as my great grandma's recipe that my mom and many other family members used