Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for artichoke quiche.
Top Review by Jessica G.
This quiche is so delicious! The directions are super weird though! First it tells you to make the crust ( and one is for the top) and to pour the custard mixture into your frozen crust.. then at the end it says to put the custard mixture into two already baked crusts and nothing about it having a top to it!! The mixture is not quite enough for two quiches.. Almost but not perfect. So I am not sure if I should have baked the crust first or put the custard in the frozen unbaked crust?????
- 2 2⁄3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon hickory bacon fat
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 14 ounces premium drained artichoke hearts (in water)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups cream or 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch fresh ground white pepper
- 2 -3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (optional but recommended)
- 2 -3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (recommended)
- snipped fresh chives or green onion tops or chervil
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE the CRUST: Into the large bowl of your food processor, add 2 2/3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder, 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3/4 cup canola oil, 6 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon hickory bacon fat, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar; POUR into food processor tube while running; PROCESS for 30-45 seconds; DUMP onto sheet of waxed paper sprinkled with flour; DIVIDE dough so bottom-crust portion is slightly larger; shape dough into balls; flatten slightly; PLACE sheet of waxed paper over bottom-crust dough; ROLL 2 inches wider than a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate; REMOVE top sheet of waxed paper; SLIDE hand under bottom sheet of waxed paper; TURN over into pie plate so waxed paper is on top; EASE pastry to fit pie plate; REMOVE waxed paper (do not pierce dough); PLACE pie plate into the freezer until ready to fill (shell should be fairly frozen when filled).
- CUT artichoke hearts into quarters or chunky bite-sized pieces; SET aside.
- GRATE 1 cup swiss cheese; SET aside.
- SAUTE 2 whole garlic cloves and 1/3 cup chopped onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until onion and garlic soften.
- ADD artichoke hearts to saute mixture along with 1/4 cup dry white wine, 1 tablespoon minced parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh snipped dill, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; STIR and saute until liquid evaporates; REMOVE saucepan from heat.
- REMOVE whole garlic cloves from saucepan and place into a food processor bowl along with 1 3/4 cups cream, 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, 4 eggs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 pinch ground white pepper; PROCESS for 30 seconds.
- COMBINE custard mixture with artichoke saute mixture in a medium-large bowl; ADD 2-3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (optional but recommended); FOLD ingredients together until well blended.
- POUR custard mixture into two 9-inch pre-baked pie shells or into one 10-inch deep dish pre-baked pie shell; TOP with 2-3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (optional but recommended) SPRINKLE with snipped fresh chives or green onion tops before baking.
- BAKE at 375 for 25-30 minutes until puffed and lightly browned; ALLOW to set 10 minutes.
- SLICE, then SERVE and ENJOY!