Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful, easy and delicious one skillet meal. I like to serve the cabbage and beef mixture over the rice, but you could also mix the rice in while simmering the dish, if you prefer.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice, cooked
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with the onions, peppers and garlic until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain, if necessary.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for rice; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- Serve over prepared rice.
Easy, peasy! I made this exactly as posted, except I ended up stirring in the brown rice to the completed recipe to make a truly one-dish meal! Tastes just like stuffed cabbage without all the work! I might reduce the sugar next time to make it a bit more savory, rather than sweet, but it was delicious just the way it was! Thanks for sharing!
This is an easy, flavorful meal to prepare on busy weeknights. I did use 1 red bell pepper in place of the green pepper. I also used a bag of coleslaw mix that I already had on hand. I added 1 cup of uncooked rice to the meat & cabbage mixture with an extra cup of water and let it simmer until the rice was cooked making this a one skillet meal. I might try reducing the brown sugar next time to make it a tad less sweet. We enjoyed this a lot and it was super easy to prepare. Thanks for posting. Made for PRMR.
As the recipe says Simply Delicious! Instead of tomato paste and stewed tomatoes I used Mushroom-Beef Spaghetti Sauce that I had made for a different tag as I had some sauce left over. I also didn't add as much hamburger as called for as the spaghetti sauce already had beef in it. I served it over white rice. I also used a pkg. of coleslaw instead of the head of cabbage. Made for New Kids On The Block.