Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- Made with Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onions, this is a creamy, delicious shrimp and corn chowder.
- 680.38 g fresh shrimp, unpeeled, medium size (I buy mine at the local fish market already peeled and deveined...saves time!)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 236.59 ml red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 595.33 g chicken broth
- 354.88 ml water
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 709.77 ml Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 2 (680.38 g) can evaporated milk
- 2 (496.11 g) can salt-free cream-style corn
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 453.59 g fresh crabmeat, drained and picked of shells
- 14.79 ml cilantro, chopped
- salt (depends on your chicken broth)
- Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse under cold water and set aside. Keep cold.
- Coat a dutch oven with cooking spray; add the oil, and place over medium high heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for one minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth, water, carrots, bay leaves, thyme, nutmeg, and white pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes, then add the Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onions. Cook for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the milk, corn and hot sauce. Return to a boil. Add the shrimp, crabmeat, and cilantro; cook 5 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink, stirring constantly.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and serve.
I used half and half instead of evaporated milk. Don't think it affected the outcome which was a totally yummy chowder. A definite make again recipe.
Long list of ingredients, but this chowder is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S, for sure! Loved the Shrimp & crab combo, & the only change I made was to leave the amount of corn the same while cutting the recipe in half, for the 2 of us! A wonderful tasting dish that I'll me making again & again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Just what I was looking for, it was a great recipe. I substituted 6 ears of fresh sweet corn and 2 cups of heavy whipping cream for the canned cream style corn and loved this dish. Thank you so much.