Recipe by The Spice Guru
My simple potato salad is made special with fresh herbs and a savory dressing.
- 3 lbs small white potatoes or 3 lbs small red potatoes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup small black olives or 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄3 cup dill pickles, cut to 1/4-inch dice or 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, finely snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 cup real mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellman's)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons deli stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- FILL a small to medium pot with lid with enough cold water to cover 2 eggs with 2 inches of water; ADD the eggs first to the cold water in pot (reserve the potatoes for a later boil); BRING water with eggs to a boil over high heat; BOIL eggs for one minute; COVER pot; TURN stovetop heat off; ALLOW eggs to rest in pot for 10 minutes; REMOVE eggs with a slotted spoon; LET cool before peeling; CHOP eggs to 1/4" dice.
- POUR enough water into a large pot to boil 3 lbs potatoes in; SALT the water until "as salty as the sea".
- ADD the potatoes and bring to a full boil; REDUCE heat to medium and until tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes; DRAIN the potatoes in a colander placed in sink; ALLOW potatoes to cool for 20 minutes before handling.
- MEANWHILE, prep the remaining SALAD ingredients to specifications then whisk the DRESSING ingredients together in a small to medium bowl, adding just 1 teaspoon of the celery salt, and only 1/2 teaspoon of the fresh ground black pepper.
- DICE the cooled potatoes into 1 inch cubes; TRANSFER potatoes into a large bowl; SPRINKLE potatoes 1 teaspoon celery salt and 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper; TOSS well, then add the remaining DRESSING, folding together to combine.
- ADD the chopped hard-boiled eggs, diced celery, red onions, olives, pickles, dill and parsley.
- FOLD salad well until thoroughly combined.
- COVER and refrigerate salad at least 4 hours before serving, to let flavors meld.
- GARNISH as desired (NOTE: To lightly dust with paprika to garnish, add a small amount of paprika to a fine-mesh sieve, then tap to dispense an even dusting.).
- SERVE and enjoy!