This recipe was the runner-up winner in Quick & Simple's Best Soup Recipe Contest.
Make and share this Simply Delicious Mushroom Meatball Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, finely diced
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus 1 t
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Warm olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms, salt and 1/8 teaspoons pepper; sauté gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground sirloin, egg, bread crumbs, onion powder and another 1/8 teaspoons black pepper, mixing thoroughly.
- Shape into meatballs ½ inch in diameter; add to pot with vegetables.
- Pour in broth and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 40 minutes.
- In a small pan, melt the butter; add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring, until thickened.
- Add milk and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir into soup.
- Remove soup from heat and immediately ladle into bowls.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoons sour cream.