Recipe by Sophie's Momma
This is my revised recipe for mac n cheese. It's super simple and very delicious! I like to add bits of grilled chicken or cooked bacon before baking for some added protein and flavor! This is easily doubled for larger crowds.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (don't forget to salt the pasta water!)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (any kind)
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground mustard (to your liking)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (white or black)
- 2 -2 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (try out any good melting cheese!)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (I use panko for a good crunch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook macaroni to al dente, do NOT overcook pasta. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Add mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil (whisking constantly) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce to simmer (whisking constantly), cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add cheese little by little, stirring each added portion.
- Mix macaroni together with cheese sauce until coated evenly.
- Pour macaroni into buttered/greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 mins or until bubbling in the center and top is golden-brown.