Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best lasagna you've ever had, and so simple too! I make my own sauce for this lasagna but you can use your favorite jar sauce if you want. The cooking time does not include the time to make the sauce. It is well worth the wait to make your own sauce though!!! Enjoy!
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml italian herbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml red wine (optional)
- salt & pepper
FOR THE LASANGA
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 1419.54 ml shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 907.18 g container ricotta cheese
- 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 591.47 ml spaghetti sauce
- 226.79 g packagepre-cooked lasagna noodles
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat until it's golden.
- If using red wine, add to the pot and reduce to half by cooking over high heat.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian herbs, and salt & pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown meat in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan, eggs, and 4 cups mozzarella until well blended. Set aside.
- Drain meat and return to skillet.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce until well blended.
- Spread some sauce onto bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish, top with lasagna noodles, spread some ricotta cheese on top of lasagna noodles, then top with more sauce.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce, then top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
- Enjoy :).
Most of the time I've been happy enough with buying a vegetarian lasagna since about the only time we've had a supper like this is when we have my son & DIL over (both vegetarians)! However, that's now changed, especially when I can access a recipe like this one! It's not just 'simply delicious,' but it's also pretty easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing this very nice keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]