Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Snuggle up with Simply the best bowl of this creamy soup filled with goodness you would find in a stuffed potato. A creamy soup without added flour for a gluten free meal.
- 24 ounces Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes, heated and divided 1n half
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons green onions, sliced
- In a large pot brown the bacon till crisp.
- Remove bacon and set aside to cool.
- Discard all bacon fat but 1 tablespoon.
- Add butter to the remaining bacon fat to melt.
- In the bacon fat over medium heat saute the bay leaf, thyme spring, garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and peppers till translucent.
- Add stock to the mirepoix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add pepper flakes to taste.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme spring.
- Meanwhile crumble the bacon strips.
- Whisk in 1/2 of the heated potatoes mix in well combined in the broth.
- Taste and season with lots of black pepper and salt to taste.
- Distribute the remaining 1/2 of heated potatoes into 4 bowls mounding in center.
- Pour soup over mounds of potatoes and top with cheese, bacon crumbles and sprinkle with green onions.
- Ahhh Nothing like a comforting bowl.