Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A french toast style sandwich that is baked so you can cook several at one time. It's a great idea for breakfast, and It's a pretty flexible recipe. You can use any kind of bread, add turkey and another layer of bread to make a triple decker, and even add mustard.
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a cookie sheet.
- Layout 4 slices of bread and top each with a slice of ham, a slice of cheese and the remaining bread to make 4 sandwiches.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon sugar, and vanilla.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, coating both sides, and place onto the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn sandwiches over, and continue baking 10 more minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry jam.
What a great way to make Monte Cristos! You somehow feel a little better about not having so much grease. The sandwich is delicious and there were no complaints here. I used French Bread and Swiss Cheese with some smoked ham. I didn't add the powdered sugar as I thought they looked lovely without it. I did have a little problem with a couple of them sticking to the pan although I was quite generous with the PAM. Parchment paper would likely be a good idea. I did try using some maple syrup and thought it was nice. I did really like them just as they were though and I even thought they tasted good when cool. I loved the hint of vanilla and bit of sweetness. All in all a very good recipe and I know my guys would be happy to see them on the table again. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC 2010
My first time eating a monte cristo. I couldn't try with powdered sugar and jam cause I wanted to use maple syrup. With maple syrup we really loved this. For each, we used 2 slices of extra-lean ham. And I used emmenthal cheese. I used skim milk. Thanks RecipeReader. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
This was really good and quite easy. I used challah bread, but all other ingredients were as listed. I sprinkled powdered sugar on them but used fresh maple syrup in lieu of the jam. Really delightful! Made for PRMR Tag Game.