Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love curry, and have made it this way several times. Since I made so many changes to the recipe I originally posted, I decided to post a separate recipe. This tastes the same as Japanese Curry (Wafuu), but is simpler to make, and uses ingredients that I am more likely to have on hand. (This is easy enough for a busy weeknight, and it makes less of a mess since there is no cutting and you only use one pot.) I use Curry Powder Trio (Take Yer Pick!) since I have trouble finding curry powder at the local grocery stores - and purchasing the spices from a Lebanese food mart makes it much cheaper than buying the premixed powder. For the cooked chicken, I use frozen, but canned or leftover will work just as nicely- and if you use canned you'll also have some broth to use in place of some of the water. I normally make a double batch.
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup frozen diced onion, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 lb frozen hash browns (the cube kind)
- 1⁄2 lb frozen baby carrots
- 1 lb cooked chicken
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Bring water to a boil (I normally heat it in my tea kettle.) Microwave the frozen potatoes, carrots, 1/2 cup onion, and chicken for 5-8 minutes, stirring once. The goal is to warm them up, not cook them.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot and add ginger, garlic, and 1/2 cup onion. Cook a few minutes until done. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until browned (basically, make a roux.) Add curry powder and tomatoes, stir well. Mix in 1/2 cup hot stock, making sure to scrape the stuff off of the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the boiling water into the mixture, stir well. Add the bullion, and no longer frozen mixture. Simmer 30 minutes. (I also start the rice about now.).
- Add the apple sauce, soy sauce, and honey. Allow to cook for 5 more minutes, remove from heat and serve with rice.