Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A quick, easy and extremely good chocolate cake. My mother often baked this cake for the jackaroos (cowboys) when she was a cook on the cattle stations (ranch) in outback Australia. Be careful not to overcook this cake and it will stay moist and fresh for days. ENJOY. I use this recipe on a regular basis.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond essence
- Melt the butter.
- Put all the other ingredients into a large bowl and pour the melted butter on top on them.
- Beat on high for 3 minutes only.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared cake tin and bake in a moderate oven.
- The baking time will depend on the size and shape of your cake tin.
- Be careful not to overcook this cake and it will be deliciously moist and fresh days after it is baked.
- Ice with your favourite chocolate icing/frosting or top with fresh or mock cream sweetened and flavoured with vanilla or rum, and cover with grated chocolate or nuts.
Very easy and simply delicious. I used almond flavoring and baked mine in a 8x8 baking dish. Baked it for 35 minutes. Great!! Thanks!
My daughters made this cake last night to surprise me, and I was very pleasantly surprised! Simplicity doesn't even begin to describe this cake, it was so easy to put together the 10 year old did most of it herself. We didn't have any self-raising flour in the house, so they used regular flour with a teaspoon of baking powder. Thanks Chrissy, your mom's cake is a winner!
Rainy day, two bored 10 year old girls. Said, let's make Chrissy O's chocolate cake. Dead easy - they made one each - licked the beaters and the bowls, pressed their noses up against the oven to watch them rise. Left one for us and took one home for their lunch. A very nice, moist cake with a great crispy top. Would suggest lining the tin with silicone paper as even well-buttered it was a bit difficult to turn out. Also added an extra tablespoon of cocoa to the recipe. 4 stars for the cake Chrissy with an extra one for being so easy to make.