Quick and easy, freezes well, this is one of those dishes that gets better as it gets re heated.....
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg beef short rib
- 1 head garlic, head crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, kikoman
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce, Lee Kum Kee brand
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 bunch leek, chopped to 2 inches
- Heat large casserole and saute ginger in oil.
- Add the onions till soft then the garlic.
- Stir well till fragrant,.
- Dump in the beef spareribs and stir fry till beef changes color.
- In a large bowl, mix soy, sugar, wine,sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and hot water.
- Mix till well blended.
- Pour to beef.
- Let simmer on low fire for 1 hour till 1 1/2 hours.
- Add in toasted sesame seeds and chopped leeks last 10 mins of cooking.
- Serve on top of piping hot rice.
This was good and was so easy to make. I like it a bit sweeter so I used 3 tbsp sugar instead of 1. Also, I don't like biting into ginger pieces so I used grated ginger instead. I used spring onions to replace leeks 'coz I din't have leeks on hand. I will definitely make this again.
Such a great staple for the Korean kitchen. It uses all items we always have on hand! So yummy. Not too sweet, not too spicy...just perfect! And super easy! Definitely going into my regular meal rotation.
Smashing hit with a bunch of international friends, from China, France, New Zealand, Philippines, and the US of A! Not spicy at all, so if you want it more spicy, add more chili-garlic sauce.