Quick and easy, freezes well, this is one of those dishes that gets better as it gets re heated.....
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg beef short rib
- 1 head garlic, head crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, kikoman
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce, Lee Kum Kee brand
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 bunch leek, chopped to 2 inches
- Heat large casserole and saute ginger in oil.
- Add the onions till soft then the garlic.
- Stir well till fragrant,.
- Dump in the beef spareribs and stir fry till beef changes color.
- In a large bowl, mix soy, sugar, wine,sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and hot water.
- Mix till well blended.
- Pour to beef.
- Let simmer on low fire for 1 hour till 1 1/2 hours.
- Add in toasted sesame seeds and chopped leeks last 10 mins of cooking.
- Serve on top of piping hot rice.