Recipe by CheapThrills
Easy, and with fresh ingredients! Fast and simple, and you control the flavorings. Found this on another site without reference to title or origin.
Top Review by loof
This soup is quick, easy, filling, yummy! I took Laffer's advice and removed some of the potatoes before I pureed, then added them back into the soup, resulting in a creamy broth with some nice lumps of potato. Served with a salad, we enjoyed this tasty soup - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth (NOTE, use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian)
- 2 cups shredded semisoft cheese (I recommend cheddar jack or colby jack)
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- herbs or spices
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pot, heat oil or melt butter, and saute onion and celery until soft.
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Then simmer covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pan, stir in cheese, milk and seasonings. Cook over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped chives, bacon crumbles, or your favorite topping.