Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy, and with fresh ingredients! Fast and simple, and you control the flavorings. Found this on another site without reference to title or origin.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth (NOTE, use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian)
- 2 cups shredded semisoft cheese (I recommend cheddar jack or colby jack)
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- herbs or spices
- In a heavy pot, heat oil or melt butter, and saute onion and celery until soft.
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Then simmer covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pan, stir in cheese, milk and seasonings. Cook over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped chives, bacon crumbles, or your favorite topping.
This soup is quick, easy, filling, yummy! I took Laffer's advice and removed some of the potatoes before I pureed, then added them back into the soup, resulting in a creamy broth with some nice lumps of potato. Served with a salad, we enjoyed this tasty soup - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008
We enjoyed this very quick and easy soup. I did think it would be better if the potato was not completely blended. I also wished I had made the bacon to put on top. Next time I will for sure! It does thicken up nicely. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Good basic soup that is easy to make too.This is a very filling soup.Thanks for the recipe.