Recipe by Soup Queen
This is very tasty and simple, although I guess it is technically not braised. I serve it with turkey kielbasa for a low-carb, low-fat meal. Another great sausage is Amy's Apple & Gouda Cheese Chicken Sausage. How can healthy eating taste so good!
Top Review by FloridaNative
This was very easy to make and very tasty - I used a prepared cole slaw package of cabbage and cut the sugar by half, which gave it a little bit of sweet and tart together with the vinegar. I served this as a side (and a topping) for hamburgers. Next time I think I'll add some thinly sliced onion and add this to the relish tray. Thanks for posting - made for FALL PAC 2012.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 24 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred cabbage. I use Cuisinart slicing disk.
- Rinse and drain cabbage.
- Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven. It's okay if it is all the way to the top; as it cooks it will reduce in volume.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring about every 10 minutes, until the cabbage is as tender as you like.
- If you have an aversion to Splenda, use about 1 cup of sugar in its place.
- This will keep well for at least a week.