Recipe by GaiaXaia
Old family recipe, cheap and simple - from the war era when ingredients were scarce, used for poultry or game birds or just made in a pan. Should come out white and fairly crumbly. Simple and delicious, complements your meat rather than fights with it. This is great to help kids to learn to cook.
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully remove the crust from the loaf and discard. Cube or tear apart the insides and crumb in a processor or grate.
- This can be done the same day but ideally 24 hours before stuffing to let the bread become a little stale. Spread out in a large roasting dish to let air dry for as long as you can. Then .
- Mix in well the suet and mixed herbs and add.
- water slowly until you have a firm crumbly mix thats just about sticking together.
- and thats it. Stuff or put in a pan.
- Some family members like to add an egg, but personally I don't like the eggy taste.
- If cooking on its own then bake for 25 minutes.
- We have tried other herbs but the mixed herbs is the best.