Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Old family recipe, cheap and simple - from the war era when ingredients were scarce, used for poultry or game birds or just made in a pan. Should come out white and fairly crumbly. Simple and delicious, complements your meat rather than fights with it. This is great to help kids to learn to cook.
- Carefully remove the crust from the loaf and discard. Cube or tear apart the insides and crumb in a processor or grate.
- This can be done the same day but ideally 24 hours before stuffing to let the bread become a little stale. Spread out in a large roasting dish to let air dry for as long as you can. Then .
- Mix in well the suet and mixed herbs and add.
- water slowly until you have a firm crumbly mix thats just about sticking together.
- and thats it. Stuff or put in a pan.
- Some family members like to add an egg, but personally I don't like the eggy taste.
- If cooking on its own then bake for 25 minutes.
- We have tried other herbs but the mixed herbs is the best.