1/2 Photos of Simple Yoghurt Pound Cake
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe found on http://southernfood.about.com/od/poundcakes/r/blcc89.htm I had replaced sour cream from the original recipe with yoghurt, reduced the original amount of sugar by 1/4 cup and used a loaf pan instead :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300° F (about 150° C).
- 2Using an electric beater or kitchen aid, cream together sugar and butter, when it is light and fluffy, add egg yolks one at a time,beat well after each addition.
- 3Blend in vanilla and yoghurt.
- 4In a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda.
- 5Add sifted dry ingredients to batter, beat well.
- 6For the egg whites, to ensure a successful formation of stiff peaks, the first step is that the bowl - preferably a metal or glass bowl, and beaters should be clean and dry. If there is a trace of oil residue in the bowl or a little hint of yolk in the whites, it will interfere with the formation of air bubbles. Beat on low speed for about a minute until foamy then switch to medium/high speed until stiff peaks form. (Note: I do not have 2nd spare bowl designed for the kitchen aid for beating the egg whites, so I scoop with a spatula the yoghurt mixture batter - it would be rather stiff by then - into a large separate clean bowl; then wash, dry the beaters and bowl of the kitchen aid with paper towel.).
- 7Take a quarter or so of the beaten egg white and mix it into the yoghurt batter, it will bring the consistency of the batter closer to that of the foam so they mix better. Fold the rest of the egg white in 2 or 3 parts, do not over mix.
- 8Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 1/2 hours (90 mins) or until loaf is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Yoghurt Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 111.8 mg
- Sodium 445.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 32.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g