- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (105-115 F)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/2 cup warm water with 2 tablespoons of yeast and in a large mixing bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the 1 1/4 cups warm water with the butter or oil and add to the yeast mixture after it has expanded.
- Combine the salt and flour and add 2 cups of flour to the yeast / water mixture and mix well.
- Continue adding flour until a soft dough forms and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the soft dough out onto a well floured surface and knead in remaining flour, continuing to knead for about 10 minute until the dough is very soft and pliable.
- Place the dough into a well-greased pan, turning once to coat and allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready when doubled in size and indentation remains when pressing a finger into the center.
- Press to deflate and shape the dough as you desire. You can use it to make mini pizzas, hot dog wraps, 2 regular sized pizzas, 2 loafs of bread or cinnamon bread.
- After shaping the dough, allow to rise again for 10-15 minutes before baking. Bake in a very hot oven (450-500 F) for 12-15 minutes. Check for desired golden color / doneness. Ovens vary in cooking time, so check the dough at about 10 minute and then adjust the cooking time / temperature according to your oven.