Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My friend Mary Greenwood first introduced me to this fine summer treat. Ingredients can vary according to what you have in your garden.
- 3 ounces lettuce (all kinds)
- 2 ounces spinach
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 sprig parsley
- 3 slices bacon (reserve fat)
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1⁄2 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fry bacon, reserve fat.
- Place lettuces, onion, and spinach in a bowl.
- Top with quartered hard boiled egg and crumbled bacon.
- Heat bacon fat, garlic, vinegar, and sugar on medium heat until mixture comes to simmer and sugar dissolves.
- Pour over salad and toss like fury. Enjoy.
This is pretty good and simple but will cut down a little on the vinegar next time. Thanks for the recipe.
This is one of the foods of my childhood and it is soooooo good! I've never tried it with spinach, but I'll bet it's wonderful!