Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A basic white cake, to top with your choice of frosting, glaze, fruit, etc.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- Cream shortening, gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Combine four, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, begin and end with flour. Mix after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites ( at room temp.) until stiff peaks form. gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans, cool completely on wire rack. Frost as desired.
Best white cake recipe I have ever used. My only change was to use butter instead of crisco.Years ago I discovered the perfect chocolate cake recipe, but for some reason the white cake just never worked out the way I wanted it. After trying my luck just winging a few recipes I finally came back to my beloved "Zaar" and started my search. After looking over a few recipes I came across this one. The change from my normal preparation of folding in the whipped egg whites at the end caught my attention, and the glowing reviews finalized my decision. I was a little skeptical at first because the batter was a bit thin, but after the first bite of a cooled cupcake I was sold. Moist, buttery and sooo good with my Italian buttercream. Thanks!!
Wonderful :) Just a note to anyone wondering, sift then measure the flour out. This cake turned out great. Perfect height and perfect texture. Thank you for an amazing white cake recipe.
This is a good recipe! I needed a cake in a hurry, and didn't have a mix on hand so I tried this recipe. It turned out great. I doubled the recipe and made it in a bar pan. I made a peanut butter frosting then put melted chocolate over that. Delicious!