Recipe by KittyKitty
A basic white cake, to top with your choice of frosting, glaze, fruit, etc.
Top Review by MizEmerilLagasse
Best white cake recipe I have ever used. My only change was to use butter instead of crisco.Years ago I discovered the perfect chocolate cake recipe, but for some reason the white cake just never worked out the way I wanted it. After trying my luck just winging a few recipes I finally came back to my beloved "Zaar" and started my search. After looking over a few recipes I came across this one. The change from my normal preparation of folding in the whipped egg whites at the end caught my attention, and the glowing reviews finalized my decision. I was a little skeptical at first because the batter was a bit thin, but after the first bite of a cooled cupcake I was sold. Moist, buttery and sooo good with my Italian buttercream. Thanks!!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Combine four, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, begin and end with flour. Mix after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites ( at room temp.) until stiff peaks form. gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans, cool completely on wire rack. Frost as desired.