1/5 Photos of Simple White Bread
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Bill Hilbrich's Note:
The recipe, and my instructions are adapted from a videorecording that a new baker might find helpful. " Perfect bread, how to conquer bread making." by Betsy Oppenneer, The Breadworks, 1990, Norwich,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the water, yeast, and sugar together in a small bowl.
- 2Add the salt to 5 1/2 cups of the flour in a large bowl.
- 3Set the other cup of flour aside. Mix the liquid and the dry together and then add the oil.
- 4Mix until it comes away from the sides of the bowl, sprinkle some of the last cup of flour on a wooden surface, and knead until the dough gets sticky again.
- 5Keep adding more flour and keep kneading.
- 6Push forward, fold over, push forward, fold over.
- 7I do this one handed because I have to, but it works.
- 8Put a little oil in the large bowl, that has been scraped clean, add the kneaded dough and roll it over a few times to coat. Cover, let stand for about one hour in a warm place. Punch down, cut the dough in half and roll it out to about a 9 inch by 18 inch rectangle. Roll it up, tuck in the ends and place in a very well lubricated ( I use crisco) glass baking dish.
- 9Repeat with the other half, and then cover with a cloth and let it rise again for about 45 minutes.
- 10Use a sharp knife to put a few slashes in the top, brush with a little beaten egg or milk, and put into a pre-heated 375 (f) oven for 30 minutes.
- 11The bread is done when an instant read thermometer reads 190 (f).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1670.7
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2346.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 325.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 44.8 g