Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Canadian Living recipe. This is very easy to make. I do find it just a bit sticky before cooking. You can add variety by adding grated carrots or sunflower seeds. Great if served with on really good bread such as focaccia topped with sprouts, tomatoes and sour cream.
- 538.64 g can romano beans or 538.64 g can white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml chili sauce or 59.14 ml salsa or 59.14 ml mango chutney
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Place about 3/4 of the beans into a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Shape into four 1/2 inch thick patties (May wrap in plastic and refrigerate up to 24 hours at this point.
- Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat (or spray with nonstick spray such as Pam) and cook patties, turning once, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. **If cooking on bbq I use my vegetable grill so that pieces don't fall into bbq.**.
This was very tasty indeed. I used the salsa version and let the patties chill for 12 hrs. Just before pan grilling I dusted them lightly with flour on both sides and gently placed then into the hot pan. They came out nicely browned and with a bit of a crust that was great and they weren't bad to turn using a wide spatula. I served them on Cheddar and Jalapeno Biscuits with Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw on the side for am excellent summer meal.
Very nice and yes very simple. Made using a home made tomato chutney and the suggest 24 hour chill time. Really like the way the flavor of the beans and the tomato chutney completed each other. Will be trying again with some of the suggested additives. Thanks for the post.