Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This one lasts for a day. Don't store longer.
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 leeks, see note
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 cups cold water
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Notes: Use only white part of leeks. Split lenghtwise, rinse and chop. Wrap the bouquet garni in cheesecloth and tie with string. Note you can use other herbs but make sure they compliment what you plan to use this inches.
- Over medium high heat, saute the vegetables in butter until soft but not brown. About 4 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the garni and simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes. Strain though a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Discard solids. Cool to room temperature Store, covered in refrigerator.
- USE WITHIN 24 HOURS. DOES NOT FREEZE WELL.