Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The basic soup can be varied almost infinitely by changing the herbs used. You can also use a variety of toppings; I like small crisp garlic croutons, sour cream, or even avacado & sour cream on the soup (cold) in summer.
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups vegetable broth (can use chicken broth)
- salt, to taste (broth usually has enough)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (if you use black it won't be as pretty)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Coarsely chop vegetables.
- Add all ingredients except herbs and lemon juice to broth in a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Decrease heat, cover pan, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Add lemon juice and herbs, and process in food processor or food mill until smooth.
- At this point, soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
- Serve soup either hot or cold. Garnish with fresh herbs or other topping of your choice.