Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple indeed, but also healthy and flavorful! Courtesy of *Everyday Food.*
Make and share this Simple Vegetable Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (from a 13.5-ounce can)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add mustard seeds and half the onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to combine. Add 1-1/2 cups water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer; cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 minutes. Add curry paste and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir chickpeas into curry and increase heat to high. Simmer rapidly until liquid reduces slightly, 2 minutes. Serve curry over rice with cilantro.