Recipe by D. Todd Miller
This recipe is based on my mother's hearty vegetable beef soup. I always serve this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. Note: My mother likes tomato-based dishes a bit sweet; however, you may leave out the sugar if you don't like it.
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained (I use "Veg-All Original")
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 lb frozen okra, microwaved for 2 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (approximate, adjust to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika (NOT smoked or hot)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 -4 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, combine tomato juice, broth, vegetables, sugar, butter, herbs, spices and Tabasco sauce. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, cook the onions in oil for about 3 minutes in a skillet on medium heat. Then add beef and garlic to the pan. Cook until beef is done but not browned (be sure to keep any chucks of beef broken up).
- Place the cooked beef, onions, and garlic into the stockpot with the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix everything well, and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers with the bay leaves removed.