Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
Simple ingredients, insanely rich taste. Not exactly... lowfat.
- 16 ounces heavy cream
- 16 ounces whole milk
- 8 ounces sugar
- 8 ounces egg yolks (about 12)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into a saucepan.
- Add the cream, milk, 4 oz. of the sugar, the vanilla pod and the salt. Bring this to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the remaining sugar until combined.
- Temper the eggs with the hot cream mixture, then add the eggs to the saucepan.
- Cook until the mixture coats a spoon, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, strain and chill overnight (at least 8 hours).
- Process the mixture in an ice cream maker. Serve immediately or transfer to the freezer for a firmer texture.