I made this up one winter when I was too lazy to make minestrone, but wanted something kind of similar. REALLY easy and healthy! Measurements and times are approximate.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, left whole
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans butter beans or 2 (15 ounce) cansother white beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces vegetable broth (use less if you like a thicker soup)
- black pepper
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add tomatoes and herbs and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans and broth, and cook until soup simmers. Check for seasoning.
- Just before serving, add spinach a handful at a time, until wilted.
- Serve--very good with a hunk of crusty bread and a salad.