Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday Italian Episode: All About Lasagna
Make and share this Simple Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- In a large casserole pot or Dutch over, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.
- Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
- If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
- Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags.
- This will freeze up to 6 months.
I've made this dozens of times and it is the perfect base for so many dishes. Searched for this on Food.com so I could easily retrieve it when I'm not at home because I prepare this when traveling. Thanks Seahorse73!
This recipe was terrrrrrific! Or at least the way it turned out because I didn't have *two* cans of tomatoes or bay leaves. I also didn't have a lot of time, so it only simmered for half an hour and didn't puree it, either. It was so delicious, I couldn't believe it. I ate spoonfuls of it as if it were soup... My husband thought it was from a jar - high praise, since I can't make sauce for the life of me. Or so I thought, until this recipe.
When my friend came back from a year in Italy she made this sauce and I never knew how. Thank you for this delicious recipe.