Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Everyday Italian
Make and share this Simple Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 -6 basil leaves
- In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
- Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.
Great Flavor. I used this as a sauce on Italian Style Meatloaf. This is time intensive on prep time. Made for PAC Fall 2011.