Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
from Giada DeLaurentis, use this sauce when making Turkey Meatballs and Penne
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.
- Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
- If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
- Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce, or use an immersion blender.
- If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.