Recipe by Canadian Jane
Just like the name suggests...a simple sauce to make but a pleasure to eat. This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentis...Everyday Italian. Update Sept. 07--bay leaves appeared in the directions, but not ingredients. Fixed now!!!
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chapped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 -6 basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent--about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil and bay leaves and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning. If sauce tastes too acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, to round out the flavour.
- I like my sauce a little spicier, so I add a few red pepper flakes.