I am only posting such a simple recipe because I actually somehow lived 29 years of life before my husband introduced me to the Tomato Sandwich. If you've only used tomatoes as an accessory in your sandwiches, and not as the Featured Ingredient, you are truly missing summer as it was meant to be tasted. Note: after many years, I have solidly converted to mayo for this sandwich, with fresh ground black pepper too. (Oct 2012)
- 2 slices bread (homemade strongly recommended, cracked wheat is my specific favorite)
- 1 medium organic tomatoes (room temperature or fresh from the stalk, do NOT attempt this with pale, store-bought types!) or 1 medium garden tomato (room temperature or fresh from the stalk, do NOT attempt this with pale, store-bought types!)
- 3 tablespoons Miracle Whip or 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- Toast bread.
- Slice tomato.
- When bread is adequately toasted, liberally spread both sides with Miracle Whip (or butter one side with Miracle Whip on the other).
- Lay tomato slices on one side of bread.
- Salt tomato to taste.
- Slap that baby together and savor summer at its best!