1/2 Photos of Simple Thai-style Lemongrass Shrimp Soup
You won't believe how easy and good it is. Try this and you may never be able to eat a shrimp soup in a Thai restaurant again. This is a blend of two recipes from a really good Thai cookbook, adapted to use easier-to-find ingredients (as recommended in the book, ginger instead of galangal, lime juice instead of lime leaves) and simplified a little. You can make it also with thinly sliced chicken breast instead of shrimp if you add the chicken about the time you add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook everything for a bit longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off the dry end and a few top leaves of the lemongrass stem.
- 2Bruise the stem with the handle of a knife and cut into 1-inch long pieces.
- 4Bruise the chilies, cut them in half, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- 5Reserve the chilies.
- 6Bring the water to boil.
- 7Add lemongrass and ginger, and squeeze out half the lime into the water.
- 8Boil 2-3 minutes.
- 9Add fish sauce and chili-garlic paste.
- 10Cook for another minute.
- 11Add tomatoes and mushrooms.
- 12Cook for 2-3 minutes (or longer, until it boils and the tomatoes start to fall apart).
- 13Squeeze the other half of the lime into the soup.
- 14Take off the heat.
- 15Add the chilies and let stand a few seconds, then add the shrimp.
- 16Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
- 17Leave lemongrass, ginger and chilies in the soup and either try to pour the soup without them, or, better, pour the soup with chunks of lemongrass and ginger in it and warn your guests not to eat these.
- 18They do add flavour when left in the soup while you eat it.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Thai-style Lemongrass Shrimp Soup
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 37.0
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1426.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili paste with garlic