Recipe by MidsummerNightSprite
I originally found this in FoodNetwork magazine. We've made a few modifications, but it is definitely a keeper! Nearly all the ingredients are easy to keep on hand for when there's a bit of extra chicken that needs dressed up.
Top Review by Elisa72
Simple and delicious! The family loves it! More complex than you would expect from the short list of ingredients. I used a mild green curry so it wasn't too spicy for even the spice-haters.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste (more or less to taste)
- 45 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces udon noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce; cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the bell pepper and noodles and simmer, uncovered, until the noodles are al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Add more cilantro and lime juice, if desired, for serving.