Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the potato salad I grew up with. It is very basic with few ingredients. It goes with anything.
- Boil potatoes, with skins on, until just tender. Drain and let cool.
- When potatoes are cooled, peel and cut into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Coarsely chop eggs. Add eggs and pickle chunks to potatoes.
- Gently toss in mayonnaise. (Start with less mayo, and add more as needed to obtain consistency you prefer.) Be sure to toss lightly to avoid breaking up the potato too much.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Also add onion, if using. Stir gently again, just to combine.
- At our house, we usually serve a small bowl of onion on the side so people can add as much as they like, or none at all.
made this with leftover baked potatoes, and it was great! havent had sweet pickles in anything other then a macdonalds burger, and didnt like that :) My daughter had sweet pickles, she loves them, so the salad w3as 5 stars for her too! We didnt put any in the kid's salad, and they enjoyed theirs as well :) thanks Sheynath, Aussie swap, July 09
My favorite way of making potato salad! The bit of onion really gives it great flavor. I added 1 teaspoon of mustard for sharpness. Great recipe and will be preparing again! Prepared as a participant in the May 2009 Aus/NZ Swap #28 event.
Indeed,it's simple, tasty and the ingredients here are what we normally have. We usually have our pickles nearly minced, but in this case, using small chunks were also good. Tasty and enjoyable! Thanks! Made for Aus swap #24