Recipe by Sweet**Fuzion
A simple but tasty taco casserole...serve with shredded lettuce, sourcream, and corn chips crumbled on top...kiddos may also want a squirt of ketchup on the side.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and mashed with a fork
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mild taco sauce (or mild salsa pureed)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped (optional)
- 12 ounces cheese, shredded (cheddar or monterey jack both work great)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Crumble and then brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over med-hi heat.
- When ground beef is cooked drain the fat, lower to medium heat and then add the mashed pinto beans and the packet of taco seasoning (you could also use any one of zaars taco seasoning recipes as a substitution). You may need to add a few tablespoons of water to mix it all together smoothly.
- If using the onion and/or green chillis add them at this time.
- Let this heat through and then spoon evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the cottage cheese and taco sauce together spread over the taco mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese of your choice and cover with foil.
- Bake for about 30-40minutes til hot and bubbly remove cover and bake an additional 5 minutes if needed.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Goes great with shredded lettuce, sourcream, and crumbled corn chips.