Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the Swiss Steak my mom used to make. My daughter has her own family now and makes this at home. It is simple and delicious. I've tried adding spices and ingredients to make it 'better', but came to the conclusion that Mom was right, it's perfect just the way it is. Hope you like it.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs round steaks
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Cut steak into serving size pieces, lay in bottom of Crock Pot .
- Slice onion and distribute over steak.
- Pour 3 8oz cans tomato sauce over all.
- sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake in Crock Pot 4+ hours
- If you like, you can thicken the sauce with a cornstarch/water or flour/water mixture before serving-(to your liking).
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
My family (including a picky toddler) really loved this dish. The only addition that I made was to add a couple sliced bell peppers because that's the way I remember my grandma making it.
This was very easy to make but we thought it was a bit bland and needed a lot more spices. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't cut up my meat before placing in the crock pot. Made for Fall PAC 2008.
This was a excellent recipe and my family enjoyed it . I used three pounds of round steak and followed the rest of the recipe as it was listed. I served this with rice and pea salad.