Sarah Sunshine's Note:
This take-out favorite has been adapted to reduce the usual high load of sugar, calories and saturated fat. Recipe comes from the British Columbia newspaper The Province.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups mixed vegetables, in bite sized pieces (snow peas, broccoli, bell peppers)
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves. Set aside.
- 3In a large skillet, add chicken and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- 4Add remaining oil, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds.
- 5Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 6Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until vegetables are tender-crisp, 4-6 minutes.
- 7Stir in water chestnuts and chicken.
- 8Whisk reserved sauce and add to the pan.
- 9Simmer, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
- 10Serve with hot rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Sweet & Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.8
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 768.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar