Recipe by English_Rose
Another of the UK's favourites. Here chicken is served with peppers, pineapple and water chestnuts in a lovely sweet and sour sauce. Serve with plain white rice or fried rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1in cubes
- 1 small red pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1in pieces
- 1 small green pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1in pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 1in pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into chunks (optional)
- white pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon soft light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chicken, peppers, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the water chestnuts, scallions and pineapple, if using, and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add all the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 6 minutes. Season with white pepper.
- Serve with plain white rice or fried rice.