Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another of the UK's favourites. Here chicken is served with peppers, pineapple and water chestnuts in a lovely sweet and sour sauce. Serve with plain white rice or fried rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1in cubes
- 1 small red pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1in pieces
- 1 small green pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1in pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 1in pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into chunks (optional)
- white pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon soft light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chicken, peppers, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the water chestnuts, scallions and pineapple, if using, and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add all the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 6 minutes. Season with white pepper.
- Serve with plain white rice or fried rice.
Easy and delicious. I included the pineapple and added some large chunks of white onion with the peppers. I served over white rice. Thanks for sharing!
Saw the photos for this recipe by Derf, over in the photo forum and knew I had to give it a try. It looked so good!! Well, I was right. It was DELICIOUS!! I added some sliced celery to the recipe too. Served over white rice. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe :)
Excellent flavour!! I had fresh pineapple to use up and it worked wonderfully. I just made half a recipe for the two of us, except I made the whole sauce recipe. Served it over brown rice which was perfect for it. Very delicious and I will be making it again, Thanks for posting.